Friday, June 5, 2009

Kiwi Life

So last week was our last week of classes... and I didn't have much to do. My first final is June 12, but I am not going to start studying until Monday. haha- So Jess and I rented Gossip Girls Season One and spent three days watching it! The show is great. I remember making fun of all the girls at Theta watching it, but once you start, you are hooked. Highly recommend it! Today I was going to go shopping, but it is hailing with gale force winds... so I am thinking of a backup plan! haha

I only have a couple more weeks here and then I leave to travel and go home. It is so crazy that it is nearing the end of my time here. A month ago I was ready to leave, but now I realize that I have a life here. It's crazy to think that in one plane ride, everything will change. I won't be able to run over to John and Julies and eat cookies, have loser nights and watch movies with all of my friends, go out to eat at Thai Over, or take a trip with David to New World. I've been trying to just embrace the time I have left and look forward.

I cannot be happier to return home though. There comes a point in time where it is just better being home and reunited with friends and family. My best friend from school just lost her father and I want to be there. I cant imagine what she is going through. It's times like these that make being all the way in new zealand hard.

I have fully embraced the kiwi lifestyle and have some interesting facts that I would like to share to show you more into the culture here:
1. Mullets, rat tails, and every other crazy hairstyle is completely acceptable! About 60% of guys have one... I don't know if it is more of a funny idea or if they really like sporting these cuts. Either way, its hilarious-
2. Boys wear jorts... Jean Shorts. That end above the knee and are skin tight. Don't Judge.
3. Overall kiwi fashion: everyone wears really tight clothing... skinny jeans are the norm. Only americans wear gym shoes everywhere!
4. College competition is different...high school seniors dont take any admission test to get into college. They just apply to one of the six schools they want to go to and most likely are accepted. The saying here is "c's get degrees". No one cares how the next person does. You put in the effort that you want to and you get what you put in.
5. Success overall is different here. If someone is rich and has done well, they say "good on ya mate" they arent jealous and most people here would rather enjoy life than have money, cars, and houses.
6. People rarely complain. If something is rough, they say "she'll be alright" meaning it will work out. No stressing or high strung attitudes here.
7. We are wimps in america. No central heating is hard to live with! They sleep in long underwear surrounded by hot water bottles. haha
8. Most people are active here. I love running to see others out running and playing sport. SPORT is LIFE here! Rugby is HUGE!
9. We are blessed with good tv in america!
10. The drinking culture is big, but I am also living on a college campus.
11. Most people aren't religious. I havent met a college student that goes to church on sundays. Most people don't grow up religious and I asked a couple of people and they said none of their friends went to sunday school or anything.
12. They think everything is grand and big in America. Including our portion sizes, houses, material items, clothes, etc. And that might be a fact. A medium drink here is comparable to a kids size in america.
13. No one does work past 6 p.m. After dinner is time to relax and enjoy yourself. The library empties at 5.
14. Not wearing any shoes is okay. They dont post signs saying "no shoes no shirt no service"... you will regularly see boys without shoes in the food store on a warm day.
15. the selection for everything is limited here. Its not, which mall do i go to? its do you want to go to the mall? Its not which lotion do you want to buy, its do you need lotion? haha-

I think that is all I have right now! Most of these are things I have picked up from college students. . . so... it might be different in the real world! haha...

Alright, time to get off the computer and do something- hope you enjoyed the entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment