Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mt. Cook Weekend



Crazy that it is already may and even crazier that I spent the weekend in snow! ... especially after being on a beach 2 weeks ago... haha

A group of 3 friends (jess, james, and lynsey) and I rented a car and drove to Mt. Cook, which is near the center of the south island-and part of the southern alps. We spent the night near Lake Tekapo and the drove to Mt. Cook Village. Mt. Cook is the tallest mountain in NZ... people die every year trying to climb it- only experienced climbers can defeat it because of its sudden storms, ice and snow... so yea, we didnt hike "mt. cook" but we hiked in the same mountain range.

On Friday, we left Dunedin and traveled to Lake Tekapo. We found accomodation right on the lake and then hung out in our seventies decorated little hut. We played cards and enjoyed some wine to celebrate jess' 21st birthday. On Saturday, we woke up and walked a little on Lake Tekapo. It is known to be this crystal blue lake, but since it was cloudly, it looked like a regular lake haha (dont get me wrong, still amazingly beautiful). Once we started driving, we noticed the sun came out and part of the lake was crystal blue. Of course we swerved to the side and started snapping pictures. After an hour drive, we arrive at Mt. Cook Village and had to "sign in our intentions". Just incase we didn't make it to Mueller Hut, they would send helicopters out. haha... we didnt know what we were getting into.

Oh I forgot to mention: a week ago, 2 of my friends did the same hike a week and got stuck in the hut for 3 days! a huge storm came in and they couldnt leave haha. They read the same book twice and sat around waiting for it to clear...

We started the hike, which was flat for 20 minutes, and then steep uphill for three+ hours. First, it was rocky, and then it turned into steep stairs for an hour and a half through shrubbery and rocks. We took a break at sealy lakes for lunch and then continued up into snow! It was another steep hike on rocks and snow all the way uphill, but there was about a foot of snow- It was so much fun to play in it, throw snow balls, eat it, and make snow men. Even though we were exhausted and our legs were burning from continual uphill climbing, we were having a ball. James went ahead because Jess, Lynsey and I were moving at snail pace just taking it all in. We reached the peak and then hiked over to the hut.

The hut was amazing- there were epic views of the mountain ranges, glaciers, and snow. it was incredible. Sitting on a bench just watching the sunset and the sunrise...ah. It was so quiet, except for the random rumbles of avalanches in the nearby mountains. We cooked dinner, played cards, and hung out with a couple from Israel and then 4 kids from Dunedin. Going to bed was quite cold because we were at 1800 feet elevation and the hut wasn't heated. So we layered up and I slept with my sleeping bag over my head. haha. frigid!

The next day we hiked the same route back down. we felt like experienced alpine hikers, until we started descending down hill in the snow. we were slipping and sliding everywhere! I put my rain pants on, so my thermals wouldnt get wet, and when I fell, I just kept sliding down because of the steep descent and my heavy pack. Well after hitting all three of my friends, I continued this method of descending for some good time... until the terrain became rocky- and then it was just painful. I could not stop laughing- I was literally sledding down the mountain on my bum. haha- maybe you had to be there to see this. After 3 hours of climbing down, we were on our way back to dunedin.

It was probably one of my favorite parts of New Zealand. it was unlike anything I have ever seen here and it was just jaw dropping gorgeous. I am frustrated writing this and posting pictures because it does not do it justice. Maybe you just need to fly to new zealand and check it out. haha.

Pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2076587&id=21105072&l=13ece13f26

I am in the middle of planning end-of-semester plans... I am looking at being home around the 20th of July after a little trip to Australia, the North Island, and Samoa. More updates coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment